Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Some Progress

Whenever I travel to Baltimore, it is not uncommon for me to park some distance away from the hospital to save money, and to take a short cut through the seedier parts in the interest of time. When I do venture away from what many might consider 'safe zones,' I typically come across young Baltimoreans who cause me much frustration and disappointment.
Often, I will encounter a group of teenagers trying (or maybe not) to look as menacing as possible while flaunting their thuggish gait. As our distance closes, I overhear the latest rap single being recited (sometimes in unison, but not always). Upon examining their faces, there is usually one or more among with a mouthful of gaudy jewelry. I imagine that my reaction is similar to what a physical trainer experiences when he sees a severely obese person inhaling a double quarter pounder with bacon.
Time and time again I am overcome with a desire to snatch one of them up by the throat and scream into the recesses of their minds, I want to force them to understand the nature of the world in which we live. I want to tell them that if they're not aggressively educating themselves, they can expect a future that will probably be a lot bleaker than anything they're living through right now. I want to instill the futility and emptiness of their elaborate ghetto gestures, rituals, and values. I want them to know that they have no business fathering a child as long they cherish ignorance and disorder. But of course, I always stop myself short of anything more than a head nod, and an occasional 'what's up.' I'm typically greeted with the same, but periodically, the young ruffians may shoot me a look of contempt, or ignore me all together.
In the beginning, I looked to Big Brothers Big Sisters as an avenue to reach young menin a meaningful way. Knowledge alone is unlikely to inspire the needed change. I knew that I could only be effective if I built rapport with Jamal and let him know that he meant more to me than some kind of project or endeavor of goodwill. Otherwise, I might come off as some lunatic on the sidewalk spitting random advice.
So after more than a year of building our relationship, I have intentionally hardened my warnings to Jamal over the past month or so (no I haven't grabbed him by the throat). I have slowly progressed from gentle encouragement to harsh admonition about his future. After all, he is almost fourteen. He has only four years to establish effective study habits and discipline if he is to educate himself after high school.
With more time off I have been able to share a few weekday afternoons with him working on his math homework (his weakest subject) and we are actually getting somewhere. I have been rather surprised how quickly he progressed in a single week. It seems to me that all this time, he has probably just needed someone to sit down with him, encourage him, and let him know that they care about his performance. As usual, I will not know exactly how much he's improving until the end of the quarter. But the smile on his grandmother's face the last time I stopped in let's me know that something must be getting better.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Need to focus on the positive, not the negative. I assure you the one thing this world does not need is another person going around lecturing the less fortunate on how people ought to be behaving. There's already a lot of that, but it does more harm than good. Nobody wants or needs to hear about what they are doing wrong.

What is needed is a positive alternative. Right now to too many of our young people, they hear and see that if they work hard, they'll get...what? What will they get? A chance to take out a six figure student loan, so that they can go to college and maybe flunk out, or maybe get a degree and end up pumping gas anyway? (And that is not even considering that most poor kids really don't believe down deep that they're really smart enough to get into college anyway.)

It is a crisis of faith that is the problem here.

If they believed in a fair deal, they would pursue it. But they don't.

Restore faith, and you will see hard work. But first there has to be something worth having faith in.

J. Scott said...

Anonymous,

Your comments suggest a degree of bitterness and disillusion with regards to higher education and its benefits. It is a well established fact that college graduates earn more on average than non-college graduates. I came from parents with few financial resources. But they demanded discipline and hard work. Relying heavily on those values I have worked through school and established a career in the field of my choosing. I did all this as a black man. If I can do it, Jamal can do it. My objective the entire time has been to model that for him. You said that "..Nobody wants or needs to hear about what they are doing wrong..". Oh, okay. I thought that's what parents and mentors were for. When he's not doing his best, it is only right to let him know what he is doing wrong. How else will he succeed. Restore faith? Fair deal? I'm not sure where you got that from, but I can tell you as a man who has worked with him for 2 years his most pressing issue is laziness and lack of motivation. I've been desperately searching for motivation for him for that last 10 months. Nothing really works. As far as faith? I never knew a black doctor when I was a kid. Just watched Bill Cosby and figured it must be possible. Jamal has a black doctor stop by his house every other week to see how he's doing and cheer him on. Not sure what the heck else you can in my position. Positive motivation is not enough for him, so I've resorted to pointing out the consequences of not educating himself. Low paying jobs, and little opportunity for advancement.

Anonymous said...

This was an excellent post. Keep up the good work man. I am in the process of starting a mentoring program at a Prince George's County High School, but your blog along with one of my friends who is in the process of becoming a Big Brother has inspired me to fill out an application myself.

And to anonymous's comments:

A college degree is an intangible asset; you can't put a value on it. It can take you places that may not otherwise be possible if you didn't have one.

I have a B.S. and a Masters; And guess what? I have students loans. I can tell you that it was worth it.

So many times we can go out and lease or buy cars with monthly high payments or run up credit cards without even blinking an eye; but as soon as soon as we some in our community talk about higher education; the first excuse we want to use for not goingto college are student loans....

Anonymous said...

Hey J. Scott:

I am in the process of completing my Big Brother application. I would like to chat with you about how the selection process worked for you. Email me at mtbrown75@yahoo.com