Wednesday, December 06, 2006

An Idle Mind

My free time over the past weeks has been limited by my study and hospital schedule, and mostly dominated by what I have come to call ‘wedding planning ambushes’ set by my fiancée. Jamal and I have had more phone conversations than usual, a few failed attempts to link up, and some drop-ins here and there. Last Friday we finally caught a break, and I spent the evening watching a movie and slugging it out in our favorite Nintendo game.
As much as I enjoy video entertainment, I’ve slowly discovered over the past month that it is generally the extent of Jamal’s activities if he’s not in school. His grandmother is trying hard to provide for him, but she is falling very short of stimulating the young man’s mind. I believe this is at least partially due to the limitations that her health has imposed on her. Every time that I see her she is either laying on her bed watching television, or sitting downstairs devising a plan to get to her bed and television. She also seems to not take his education as seriously as I think that she should. His report card has been available for almost 4 weeks now, but she has not picked it up from the school and does not know how he performed.
As a ‘Big Brother’ I feel obligated to expand the young man’s mind, to take him places that he would not otherwise go. And although I have spent the past month doing things that Jamal enjoys, and that I loved at that age, I want to limit our time in front of the television in the future.
As Christmas approaches, I’ve given a lot of thought to what gift I want to get him. Since he still plays a 3rd generation video game console, and this holiday season marks the inauguration of the 5th generation, the games for his system are exceptionally cheap. But now that I have come to more fully understand his home environment, I feel like I cannot give him anything that would encourage another minute in front of the television. So, I’m basically going to violate everything that I learned about Christmas as a kid, and give him some books. My hope is that he will find them entertaining, and that they will activate his imagination and desire to read more books. So far I’m leaning towards The Chronicles of Narnia series, the Series of Unfortunate Events series, and some basic cartoon drawing books. Any other ideas for the 12 year old age range? Of course, in the back of my mind I keep imagining all of the creative things other than reading that I would have thought of to do with a book that I opened on Christmas morning at that age.

4 comments:

LovingMeForever said...

If he likes science a book on science experiments he can do at home would be fun. My son loved the one I got him. If you want the name of the one we drop a note on my blog and I will send it to you.

I will brainstorm and if I get anymore ideas I will stop back by your blog.

Anonymous said...

Hello, The Chronicles of Narnia is a great choice. I am glad to hear that you've decided to go with a book instead of video games. Don't get me wrong... video games are fun... but a good book is even better. Godspeed.

Anonymous said...

Have you thought about purchasing comic books for him to read? You might help him build his own library of classic and modern day comics. Then, the two of you could draw a set of comics to add to his library.

This sort of activity would not only increase his reading skills but his writing skills, as well.

If you get a chance, check out http://www.comicbookproject.org
to get some ideas about how one artist uses comics to increase the literacy skills of inner-city youth.

As educators, we must nurture in our youth a love for reading. Just giving our youth books to read, no matter how good we as adults think they are, won't mean a thing if the books do not capture the interest of the youth.

Try to find books that are on topics that are important to the young man you mentor. If you don't know what types of things are of interest to him, then find out by asking him. Afterward, find a few books --fiction and non-fiction -- on the topic of interest to him. Then, the two of you might have discussions about the books. You don't have to let him know that you plan to quiz him, but you could prepare some very specific questions to ask him. Then, link his answers to any relevant movies, music, theater, and/or other books.

For example, since he likes video games. Consider getting him a book on how to create video games or about the animation technology that is used in the gaming industry. Help him complete a search on the INTERNET to find out what types of jobs are available in the video game industry. Help him use the Internet to research companies that create video games and to research the salaries of people who make video games. Take a trip to the main branch of the Enoch Pratt Free Library downtown on Cathedral street and complete a scavenger hunt with him to find as many books as possible in the children and/or young adult section of the library on the topic. Help him fill out an application to get a library card and encourage him to check at least one book out to read about video games.

You have to make the experience of reading fun and interesting to him. The best way to reach a young mind is to stimulate it and engage it in consistent and intentional learning activities.

I wish you all the best in whatever you decide to do. You are making a difference in his life.

J. Scott said...

Wow,

Thank you all for responding. Anonymous 2, thanks for the great advice, I will definitely put some of that into action. A few weeks back, Jamal showed me a picture of a superhero that he designed. Working on a hero/comic book story together would make a great activity.