Sunday, July 01, 2007

I'm Back


It's been a while, but I have an excuse this time, really. From the end of April until last week I had been living through a whirlwind of moving, getting part of the house renovated, getting married, and taking final exams to wrap up my third year. Quite hectic I have to say, but through it all I actually managed to keep up with Jamal from week to week.
The wedding was held in NY, near my Wife's hometown and on the campus of my undergraduate alma mater. I had a great time at the wedding, and as promised, my father picked Jamal up from Baltimore and kept him company during the event weekend and through the ceremony and reception. It was good to see him mingling with my friends and family, and generally having a good time. As weddings go, I didn't get to spend too much time with him individually, but I did follow up with him a week later. He approved of the festivities and said that he had enjoyed himself.
School ended about two weeks ago, and report cards were mailed home in the middle of last week. On a good note, he called me the day he received his report card to let me know how he did. Sadly, he told me that he passed as if he was unsure whether or not he was going to pull it out. Unfortunately, Jamal's grades have grown progressively worse with each passing quarter this year. That is particularly frustrating to me since we both sat down in December and set a goal of improving his academic performance.
Almost two months ago, I gave him a firm talking to about his progress report (all C's and D's), telling him that I knew he could do better, and trying to explain how important good grades are to his future. He acted as if he understood (and had even heard it before), but continued to ignore assignments, and play video games instead of studying until the grading period ended.
As I look back on my first year of mentorship, I would like to say that it was successful, but since my only truly objective measurement of success (grades) did not demonstrate this, it's hard to walk away with that impression. I realize that it's quite possible that the impact of my presence in his life may not be felt for many years. And I'm learning that instant gratification cannot be the nature of my motivation when it comes to our "therapeutic relationship." I must learn to deal with the fact that progress will be slow and at times invisible.
I've come to believe that raising a child to do well in school is part inspiration and part discipline. I think that how much of each is needed depends on the child. At this point, it's clear to me that Jamal needs a lot more discipline, which is something that I cannot (and will not) provide given my role as a Big Brother. Unfortunately, when it comes to school, his grandmother has demonstrated time and again that she either does not know how or simply will not give him the structure that he needs. So I feel as if I'm at a bit of an impasse with regards to getting him to achieve. At this point, I'm left to look forward to another year, and continue to work on developing his artistic talents, affirming his self worth, and helping him see beyond the stereotypes that surround him on a daily basis.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you and your wife. What a blessing you are to Jamal's life! I hope you remember that academic achievement is just one form of development, so don't be too hard on yourself for not seeing any improvement in Jamal's grades. The activities and experiences that you make available to Jamal are helping him develop into a whole and healthy human being. I bet Jamal will remember your wedding and the time he spent with your Dad for the rest of his life. Those sort of experiences are not always measurable and can't always be described in the language of outcomes, but are important stepping stones for breaking generational curses and helping young people see beyond the bleak reality of their lives.

Based on what you have written in your post, I can only surmise that Jamal probably attends a Baltimore City Public School. Unfortunately, that is not the best place to stimulate learning for any child. I wonder if you could work with Jamal's grandmother to get him into a private school or even an after-school or out-of-school time program that could help nurture and stimulate Jamal's young mind. Here's one program that might be of interest to you:
http://www.urbanleadershipinstitute.com/uyla.htm

I love reading your post and wish that more brothers and sisters would take the time to reach young minds. God Bless!